From:
Pupsbreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 07:25:58 GMT
Hello to all.
I have just recently found this list, quite greatfully I might add. I am
in the process of trying to put together a living native reptile museum in
No. California. I need to get things going quickly here, as my leap of
faith has found me with an acquired building, as well as the rent that goes
with this perfect acquisition!
Right now, I keep and make money with native reptiles. I have done
programs for everyone from PG&E to The Discovery Channel, and these
educational programs are based on "conservation through education" issues.
If all else fails regarding county permits, and such (funding issues need
to be addressed as well, hello?) I could I suppose, do the "open a store"
plan, which would be very sad, however feasible.
In Calif. it is illegal to have native reptiles in a retail establishment,
regardless whether they are only for display purposes or not. The rules are
quite clear on this, and I have always thought that sad for the people who
catch something (usually children) and want to learn more, identify, or
even find out what it eats etc...
So a wall full of natives for a customer to check out in a store, is not
possible. ok, well, who cares, if one could display these animals, take
them in trunks to school children, have them come classroom by classroom to
you, teach the ecology, habitats, and ecosystems of the area and
statewide...while taking in the work of local artists and selling gifts,
and reptillian items...even food items for local herpetoculturists in a
gift shop format part of the museum...enabling me to pay the rent that way.
Does this sound feasible to anyone? Is there anything anyone can shed
light on, either pro or con? Perhaps direct me to avenues where I can find
more information..any information even on local levels and issues?
Thank You for any help.
Please Email me,
Judy Fireman @
The <[log in to unmask]>