From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 23:03:53 -0700
Nikkie,

The other answers have been excellent, but I'll add another one or
two.... (Who knows what will finally be 'heard' by the person?)

Even if there were a reason that they are historically significant
(artist was significant, local medical school history, etc., are
stretching it but maybe), it still would be most inappropriate to put
them on exhibit.  So, if they have no research value, and no exhibit
value, even if they had some marginal significance to your mission, what
the heck would they be good for except taking up valuable storage space?

You could also tell him that if they did really come from the medical
community, there is some likelihood that they originated in India, which
was the origin of a lot of human skeletal materials sold for medical and
study purposes. (They were usually from indigent deceased or similar sad
circumstances, and I think that extremely poor people even sold their
own bodies before death to obtain money for their families.) That might
make it even more clear that the proposed gift is outside the realm of
your local history museum.

This sounds like a phenomenon that is all too common in history
museums....if someone has something that is difficult to get rid of,
they decide that the local museum is the ideal place to 'put' it.  Be
kind and polite but FIRM. And get skilled at suggesting a "better home"
for offers such as this...." a place where they will be much more
useful"....it can really take the heat off.

In this case you could suggest that he offer the skulls to a nearby
college that teaches Physical Anthropology, where they could be used as
teaching specimens in lab classes. They would also have the expertise to
determine probable origins and possible NAGPRA status. I believe it's
relatively easy to distinguish between bones that have been in the
ground and those that have not.

Lucy Sperlin
Chico, CA