From:
Katherine Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 13:51:03 CST
This is in response to your question about creating a program or
exhibit concerning the nuts and bolts of exhibit development.

Though we haven't created an exhibit concerning this topic, we have
created a hands-on program in which students and teachers create
their own exhibits.  Currently, I am working with a group of 84 high
school students who are creating an exhibit centered around the
1960's.   Their exhibit will "open" for one day on April 24.

The students, teacher and I begin the four month project by meeting
to discuss and define the many components that comprise a
successful exhibit i.e research, artifacts, labels, photographs,
etc...  We then investigate how these components fit together and
define the purpose and goals of each.  This dialogue includes
discussion about the audiences, their expectations and requirements.

After we've created this "check-list", we set the rubric for evaluation.
In other words, what criteria should be met to create a successful
title, visual display or text for the exhibit?  At this point, the
students engage in an inferential learning exercise designed to help
them glean information from artifacts and objects without the help of
a label.  They are  asked to study the same individual artifacts
as part of a coherent exhibit.  They then piece together the
information into an interpretation.  Usually, I make sure there is a
"red herring" in the mix to make sure the students realize that
"fact" can be misinterpreted.  By this time, there are tons of questions
about how artifacts are selected, the quality of objects, methods of display...

This session is followed by an exercise in which the students attempt
to outline an exhibit.  They are asked to select a subject and list
the topics to be included in the exhibit.  Then they are asked to
list possible artifact and objects to be included in display cases.
Basically, they just walk through the proposal  process.

Once all the necessary components have been delineated, the students
and define the evaluative criteria for "successful exhibits."   This
criteria sets the rubric which will be used to evaluate their work.
The material is compiled in an evaluation sheet that will be filled
out by staff curators who will attend the students' "opening" and
evaluate the exhibits.  The students are given this form to use as
reference as they work on creating their exhibits.

During the four months prior to the "opening" the students select the
overall subject of their exhibit.  They work in teams to select and
research their specific exhibit topic.  These topics are submitted to
their teacher who approves or rejects their proposals.  After
approval is received, the students must determine the title of their
exhibit segment, conduct research and documentation, search for and
obtain artifacts, photographs, videotape, etc,... for their exhibit.
They must write the text, produce the labels, design and constuct their
exhibit space within the spatial parameters defined by their teacher.
The students also visit the Museum and evaluate the exhibits using
the same rubric constructed  to evaluate their own work.   Subsequent
sessions for "consultation" are scheduled as needed throughout the
four months.

This program has also been offered in-house for teachers and GT
seminars for students.  When conducted in-house, the participants
must have researched a pre-determined topic.  They are given the same
preparation as described above, including artifact handling training.
The participants, under the supervision of the curators, select
artifacts from the collection, pull registrarial information, fill
out artifact removal forms, write labels, select display vitrines,
and create discrete exhibits.

The objectives of this program are:
-Define the purpose of museums.
-Identify the purpose of museum collections.
-Delineate exhibit components.
-Explain the inferential value of objects/artifacts.
-Explain the rationale for proper artifact handling techniques.
-Define the terms, collection, artifact, curator.
-Introduce the concept of artifact preservation/conservation.
-Demonstrate the inter-departmental relationships within the museum.
-Delineate the connection between artifacts and research
documentation.
-Introduce and define the concept of material culture.

Though this has been developed as an education program rather than an
exhibit, it may have some applications for you.  If anyone is
interested in more information about this program feel free to
contact me.  I am the Education Director at the Panhandle-Plains
Historical Museum in Canyon, Texas.