From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 13:17:41 GMT
>Has anyone out there in museum-land had any experience in starting a
>friends/membership program at their institution and/or know of any written
>materials on this subject?

Melissa:  I have been watching a museum in my area implode, in part because
of a Friends program run amok.  Although I have no direct experience with
them either, I would urge you to urge the small museum you are advising
to proceed with caution.  There are several good books on Friends or
other volunteer programs (no titles come to mind immediately, but check
the AAM Bookstore catalog), and they do outline how to set one up, and
most importantly, what Friends groups should and should not do.

The key is in the Articles of Incorporation for the group, as well as the
close working relationship the Board of the group has with the paid staff.
The paid staff should always have it in mind just exactly what the Friends
group is for (support, not governance) and they should communicate that
to the Board of the group on a regular basis.

The museum I am watching has a Friends group that for 20 years has
mistakenly assumed that they ran the museum (they actually ably ran a gift
shop, but little else).  They are now in a position to take over the
whole megilla, but haven't a clue as to how to run a real museum.  Because
of their interference, the institution is sliding down the tubes as we
speak.

The Friends group should never end up in a position where they are directing
policy for the institution, and should be informed, rather consulted,
about management decisions made by the governing board of the institution
with the paid staff.

Good luck!

Claudia Nicholson
Curator of Collections
South Dakota State Historical Society, Pierre