From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:13:05 -0400
This string began with news of a decision to cancel a Civil War re-enactment
in the light of the attack on this nation.

I invite Deb Fuller and Harry Needham to become familiar with these most
popular of American battle re-enactments.  They are far from being sober.
The audiences do indeed enjoy learning about Civil War living conditions but
pay their money to see the battles, hear the mortars and cannons, and watch
screaming people "die."

One wonders how we will re-enact the events of last week, which have the
potential of changing America forever.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park
Tazewell, Va.
http://histcrab.netscope.net

>Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>

>It is my impression that the act of "killing" is quite a thrill to the
>spectators.  I agree entirely with those who realize this is no time to
>glorify acts of violence.  There is absolutely nothing wrong, in my view,
>with focusing on living conditions during wartime.  It is educational and

Ross, I think you are interpreting a bit too much in your observations of
the battles. While there are probably yahoos out there who do a get a
"thrill", everyone in the reenactment units I've seen are as sober about the
battles as their historical counterparts. The battles are in no way
glorifying violence but presenting a part of history. In the case of the War
of 1812, a lot Americans don't even know what it was, let alone its
significance.

And besides, the battles are actually a small part of the encampments. For
example, at the Ft. McHenry weekend celebrating the 187th anniversary of the
battle and the writing of the Star-Spangled Banner, the actual "battle" was
a 10 minute volley of fireworks representing the "rockets red glare" as the
big flag was hoisted over the fort and an earlier 20 minute demonstration of
battle tactics. The rest of the 3 days were life in camp demonstrations,
talks and unit drills. The other "battles" I've been to have been about 20
minutes of the battle reenactment with the rest of the day or weekend in the
camp.

If anything, I think the "battles" show the public what our ancestors did to
make this country the free place that it is today. The comments I usually
hear aren't "Wow, that was cool fighting!" but more along the lines of how
hard it must have been to live back then (esp. when they see the surgeons
tools. :) While I don't condone wars or fighting, I'm not going to belittle
the memories of those who did fight and die for our country.

Deb, Ship's Company Navy Contract Nurse :)