Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 19:49:16 -0400
Greg:

You're absolutely correct about freedom of speech.  My point was that if you
make the use of the museum's image (and by that I mean for a photo-op for
political purposes) and public persona available to one group--it sort of has
to be available to all.

My fear is that the image of your museum might appear on campaign materials
for any "fringe party" that would one day be of great embarassment to your
facility--ultimately driving away the majority of your audience who then
associate you with the fringe.  (Just to avoid confusion, my personal
political affiliation is not the issue I'm speaking of.  I'm an equal
opportunity pessimist when it comes to political parties of any bent.) It
isn't fair, or right, or moral that people make these associations, but I
think they do.  I really would like to be wrong about this point, and I sort
of hope I get flamed by fellow list participants on this.  However, I sense
that many of your visitors would be turned off by seeing swastikas, the
hammer& sickle (or any other symbol you wish to discuss) next to the entrance
of your institution.

Just my opinion--I really do wish you every bit of success and hope that the
hydra doesn't turn on you.

Jay Smith
Reno County Museum
Hutchinson, Kansas

________
The opinions expressed here are mine and do not necessarily reflect the
opinion of the folks who authorize my paychecks.
________