From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:34:36 -0400
Candace:

You make a good point. It seems the competition for entry level jobs is
fierce, no matter what one's age or gender. I don't think our profession
does enough to a) adequetly train new profesisonals and b) strive to pay a
living wage.

(Warning rant ahead)Some Museum Studies programs do students a terrible
disservice by enticing them without helping them examine the realities of
the job market or helping students understand that their undergraduate
museum studies courses can't compete with other candidates' graduate level
courses and degrees.

One graduate but non-credit(!) certificate program, nameless but in my
fair metropolitan area, entices students with three courses and seems to
promise these are all one needs for a senior management job in a museum!
The courses cover "Museum Origins & Missions", "Successful Museum
Management in Today’s Environment", and "Education for Museum Visitors".
Exhibitions are covered in an optional two day course and collections
addressed not at all. A student with this certificate may be competing
against students from programs that offer an MA degree in museums studies
after a full-time two year program.

All I'm saying is that this is still a buyer beware with out the benefit
of Ralph Nadar.

Rant #2: I don't think employer myopia toward age is a museum only problem
but, as mission driven institutions, one would like to think we could
overcome this bias. I'd like to see more sessions at professional
conferences that address human resource issues. Let's encourage our HR
departments to submit session proposals and help educate those
administrators in organizations not fortunate enough to have a trained HR
staff member.

Caveat #1: as a long term professional, I have been fortunate to make
steady progress through my career and do not believe my advacing age has
hindered me. I did experience the opposite once. I was in my late 30s and,
during an initial interview for a director position at an historical
museum, had a board member comment on my youth as it related to my ability
to do the job. I had 10 years of professional museum experience by that
point and reminded him of the fact. I didn't get the job.

Caveat #2: Sometimes it's personality and presentation as much or more
than experience that gets one hired. Not that I think the original poster
has a problem in this area but a professional coach can prepare a job
candidate for an important interview by helping develop subtle skills that
help one make the best possible impression on a hiring manager. How you
sit, how you answer questions, how you carry yourself are all evaluated by
an interviewer and deserve as much attention as what you say in a cover
letter.

Ranting over.

Diane Gutenkauf
disclaimer: My ideas are my own and do not reflect those of my employer or
any organization with which I am affiliated.