From:
Judith Dressel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 14:19:42 -0400
At 11:58 AM 4/16/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Colleagues,
>Please a few moment s time and complete this survey and e-mail it back
>to me.
>
>Registrars and Collections Managers are frequently given the
>responsibility of steering their museums through the litigious waters
>surrounding the development and execution of exhibitions and
>collections. How easily and confidently they arrive at their decisions
>depends upon the support of their management who should help provide
>them with the necessary tools to evaluate situations and call in legal
>assistance when necessary. Granted some museums have legal counsel on
>staff but what about those museums who don t.  How does the registrar
>obtain the information - classes, workshops, books - necessary to make
>these calls?
>
>The information I gather from this survey will be evaluated and
>presented at the AAM session  Museum Law: Legal Issues That Impact
>Managerial Decisions , because of my experience, I am focusing my
>remarks on collections and exhibitions.  It is my hope that the results
>will reflect a broad spectrum of real legal issues facing today s
>museums both large and small. Please take a few moments and answer the
>following questions. Thank you for your help.
>

>1.      What is the major legal issue that your museum faces or fears the
>most?
>
>1a.     Any litigations you care to share?
>
>2.      What training have you received to help you make legal decisions?
 In my 20+ year art museum career, I have attended several ALI-ABA sessions,
finding their studybooks very helpful over time; also Marie Malaro's text;
and various Museum News articles (see index)

>2a.     Did the museum support these efforts?Yes, every time (Chrysler
Museum, Detroit Institute of Arts, Baltimore Museum of Art)

>3.      Where do you go for legal counsel?  Museum-retained counsel
>
>4.      Please describe your museum.
Entirely privately-funded; until very recently (1995) managed as a private
collection open to the public by founder-collector; specializing in works of
L.C.Tiffany, and related-era American decorative arts

>5.      Your name and title (if you prefer to remain anonymous - I guess
>that s hard with e-mail - let me know and the information will be
>treated confidentially). Judith Dressel, Collection Manager (since Jan. 1997)
>

>Thank you very much for your help.
>
>Gail Kana Anderson
>Assistant Director/Curator of Collections
>Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, The University of Oklahoma
>410 W. Boyd St.
>Norman, OK 73019
>405.325.3272; Fax 405.325.7696

Judith Dressel