From:
Dan Sterns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:45:10 -0700
Greetings from Denver, CO, and thank you in advance for any responses.

Has anyone had any experiences with the public display of copyrighted videos in a non-profit museum environment, or do you know where I could locate more information?

Some of the questions I am most interested in are as follows:

Is there a "fair use" copyright clause that covers videos or other media that would allow public showing of a video (without written permission) in a museum education/exhibition environment?

Can a non-profit museum make copies of a video (without written permission) if used exclusively for educational/training purposes?

Is there any general copyright law which specifically covers non-profit museums?

If you would like to reply off list:

Dan Sterns
Audio-Visual Services
Denver Art Museum