From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 08:31:50 +1300
Ed Lambert wrote:
Dear Friends:

The Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI) in Seattle is preparing for a
major new exhibit, "Fish and Chips: Nature, Culture and Technology on Puget
Sound".   The exhibit will examine how technological change impacts the
natural and cultural landscape.   It will center around a salmon-butchering
machine patented as the "Iron Chink"  that was designed to replace
decreasing reserves of skilled Chinese workers just after the turn of the
century.  From this artifact, we will look at racism and labor relations,
the process of invention, and the understanding of salmon biology at the
turn of the century.

In addition to traditional media, we want to use hands-on devices to deliver
some of the exhibit concepts and content.  For example, having learners
physically stack the number of cans that come from one salmon,  measure how
fast they disassemble a Velcro salmon, or look through opposing
stereopticons at contrasting  views of cultural stereotypes, etc.

Has anyone out there worked with similar concepts, content  or delivery
devices?  We are also considering working with local artists to create a
space for the community to respond to issues of technology  and culture in
their daily lives.  We would love to hear  your  ideas, contacts, words of
encouragement or words of warning!

Can I suggest that you contact the Canning Museum in Stavanger, Norway.  Many
of us who attended the ICOM Triennial in that town were impressed by the hands
on nature of the facility and the guided tour provided by staff.  Everything
from fish skewer theading, smoking to sampling of the finished product. In
short a multi sensory experience. Their shop merchandise was also well
selected - I managed to cram several tins of brisling into the suitcase on the
way home and feel confident that they played me hell with the airport metal
detectors !

Best wishes,
Roger Smith
Director of Waikato Museum of Art & History
Hamilton, New Zealand