From:
"Zickuhr, Kristine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:47:30 -0600
I think you have valid concerns regarding Ebay.  However, I think that most
of your
points apply to any accession.

Provenance is always a concern.  If the object has doubtful provenance, then
it probably shouldn't be accessioned, unless there's a pressing need for it
or it's very difficult to come by otherwise.

An Ebay receipt is probably more valid than say, a Certificate of Gift from
donor who doesn't have legal title in the first place.  If you would like
you can
probably request an actual paper receipt from most sellers.  You can also
save any credit
card information or money order copies for additional backup.  You will also
have the sellers name and address that can be kept with the accession
paperwork.

Probably the most valid concern is the existence and popularity of fakes.
However, in that case you have to rely on the expertise of your staff and
decide not to proceed if there's any doubt.  Be sure to also check the
seller's
feedback.  You might decide to buy only from sellers with many feedback
postings.
If they're actively selling fakes someone will have hopefully caught it.

Ebay's just a marketplace.  If you've purchased items from collectors or
private
individuals in the past then I don't see the distinction.  I would follow
the same
procedure.  With any accession you'll have to do appropriate research and
documentation.

Kristine Zickuhr
Registrar
Wisconsin Veterans Museum