From:
John Kelton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:21:12 -0600
... The first thing you do at a National Park is get your passport stamped.

... You're trying to figure out how the desiccant chamber is set up in the
case.

... You can never give your kid the short answer they need when answering a
history question.  (Dad, what started the Civil War?)

... You are so enamored with the design and construction of an artifact case
that you are oblivious to what your children are doing.

... You test the welds on a new interactive exhibit by having 6 of the
biggest, burliest guys in the shop jump on it for 20 minutes.  The exhibit
is promptly broken within 2 weeks of installation by a group of 6th graders.

... As a Christmas present you give your children a membership to the local
children's museum so you can visit other children's museums as you travel
during the holidays. (I did that this year)

Side note.  CM of Dallas has a temporary exhibit featuring teaching
materials from Kenya, Africa.  Dilapidated wooden benches for desks, worn
out texts, authentic school clothing, worn out chalk boards, teaching aids
that look more like rags that posters. Photographs of kids who attend school
and quotes. It takes one boy up to 3hrs just to walk to school.  He leaves
home at 6am and is fearful of lions along the way. It'll move you to tears.

--
John W. Kelton
Exhibit Designer