From:
Deborah Baroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 22:12:01 -0400

>As for the collecting-defines-the-museum role, as recently as
>the '50s most museums (history ones at least) did NOT provide
>school extension programs, rarely recruited school tours (some
>even actively discouraged them as "improper" for their hoary halls),
>seldom provided lectures, and could not imagine such activities
>as camp-ins, tour programs to other sites and museums, and
>internships. Few even had gift shops! Would a museum do those
>things?

Maybe I'm biased, but our museum storage and gallery doesn't seem to make my
archives (photo and paper) and library any less significant.  We call
ourselves the "Museum of the Great Plains," but everyone likes to say Great
Plains Museum (which really angers some).   We also have a living history
program in our compound.

Granted, most people come to see the exhibit gallery, but we get a (large)
handful of researchers.  And we're only a city museum, with a generous
institute that backs us up.   We have tons of school groups that come to
visit for programs/guided tours and a substantial outreach program to
students and teachers alike.

We even have a gift shop (with lots of book!!)

Maybe we should change OUR name  {:-Deb

Deborah Baroff, Curator of Special Collections
Museum of the Great Plains   Lawton  OK