From:
Robbin Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 1994 20:01:46 -0400
Dave Wells writes:

>Too often, I would
>like additional information, which a computer information kiosk could
>provide, on the exhibtion, the items in the exhibit, and maybe such
>information about how the museum has dealt with such items as those with
>the sacred bundles.  Isn't the mission of museums to educate?  Where does
>one decide to draw the line between too much and enough information?  How
>does technology such as computers "fit" into an exhibition (and how is
>that information directed towards the different age groups)?

Too often, also, we tend to think of new technologies in terms of
the end user, the visitor. What they want is content well presented.
What information technology can provide is the research tools and
connectivity to enable museum professionals to to a better job in
creating content. Technology can now provide links and pointers
between museums and other sources that will reflect what is
starting to be called our hybrid culture.

Robbin Murphy
Managing Editor, ArtNet
(a word is worth a thousand icons)