From:
Melissa Wraalstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 09:32:30 -0700
You're going to have a blast!  I agree with the
recommendation of the Safehouse.  It is a great spy
cafe/bar/lounge.  They will let you in, even if you
don't know the password. :0)

Another great place to visit is, as weird as this might
sound, Miller Brewing Company (downtown Milwaukee).
They have tours that take you through the plant.  It's
fun, even if you aren't a big beer drinker, and it will
give you a little taste for local culture.

As far as eateries go, try the Water Street Brewery (on
Water Street, downtown Milwaukee, next to the Marcus
Center for the Performing Arts).  They are a
microbrewery with good food and reasonable prices.

The Milwaukee Art Museum and Milwaukee Public Museum
are both good museums. The Milwaukee Art Museum has a
wonderful folk art collection, and the new Calatrava
wing is beautiful (and offers great views of Lake
Michigan).  Near both of those museums is a nice little
cafe/coffeeshop, if you want to stop for lunch.  It is
only a few blocks down Lincoln Memorial Drive (aka Lake
Shore Drive) from the MAM, and is in a converted water
plant.  The cafe is called Alterra Coffeehouse.

If you have the chance, and the weather is nice, come
on out to Old World Wisconsin. (I think it only fair I
put in a plug for my own museum).  Old World is about
45 minutes from Milwaukee.  Take I-94 west to Hwy. 67.
Old World is right off of Hwy. 67.  It's an outdoor
living history museum, which focuses on 19th and early
20th century rural life and the various ethnic groups
that settled in Wisconsin.

SummerFest (one of the largest music festivals in the
U.S.) starts on June 26th in Milwaukee.  It is full of
lots of different kinds of music, food, and numerous
stages. It's on the Henry Maier Festival Grounds (there
are lots of signs to get you there), and is right on
Lake Michigan.

Milwaukee also has a number of ethnic festivals
throughout the summer and fall. Asian Moon Festival
starts on June 14th and runs through the weekend.
Polish Fest starts on June 20th and runs through that
weekend. Both take place at the Henry Maier Festival
Grounds also.

For more information on what's going on in Milwaukee on
any particular weekend, try www.onmilwaukee.com.

Have fun!! If you want any other suggestions, from
someone who grew up in the area, email me off-list at

Melissa Wraalstad
Special Events Coordinator
Old World Wisconsin
Eagle, WI 53119