From:
Jennifer Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:33:00 -0500
I am involved in a distance learning program through Case Western Reserve
University in Cleveland. There are 10 ofus in Cohort 4, working toward a
certificate in nonprofit management. The program is designed for
professionals who cannot leave their place of employment to attended a
regular residency program. What does it do for us?

We have a distance learning software program that allows us to connect with
each other during our inter-year assignments. We spend two weeks at the
beginning and end of the program in Cleveland, learning from the previous
cohort and this summer, we will the "old salts". Our professors are
accessible as well.

The best part are the people - one of our cohort is in Mongolia! Two are in
Brazil and one in Nuremburg. The rest of are scattered around the US. We
learn from each other, frequently exchanging e-mail on assignments and
other topics. I have found friends here and learn as much from them as the
coursework.

Along with all of this, I can plant a garden with my husband this spring, I
don't have to live in a dorm or subdivided house (like grad school) or
trudge through snow to class and I can do my work in PJ's. Do I miss the
interaction?? I live in a university town and have plenty of contacts here.
This is viable option for people who cannot attend a regular residency
programs. The university where I live does not have a PhD program in
History. The closest program in UNC-Chapel Hill, about four hours away. If
we're still in Boone in a few years, I will look into PhD program with
minimal resident requirements (and not in winter).

Overall, it has been a positive experience. The staff is great, the
professors work with our personal lives (I've moved twice in the last
year), and it's been a great experience. Cheers!
Jennifer L. Williams
Independent Museum-type Person (IMP)
Boone, NC

         You have the gene - the crazy gene.