From:
Randall Hees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 11:52:19 -0700
Several thoughts..

We have had good luck making the rules part of the interpretive message.  In
our case we are a Victorian house in a historic farm. We explain that "the
house is the farm house where the family who owned the farm lived, but it
isn't a house anymore, it's a museum, and we need to treat it and the
objects inside like museum things, not like house things."

Similarly we ask that "cell phones be turned off because they haven't been
invented yet."

With interested students we include information on collections care.  This
came up when a student asked how we cared for or moved the furniture if we
can't touch it. out came the white gloves. there is now a pair stashed for
demonstration purposes.  (we don't have a tour script, instead we have a
resource book for docents)

We have had some issues with touching collections. We believe that for some
visitors, once you allow them to touch one object, you have given permission
to touch all.  We have moved most of the touchable objects to the end of the
tour.

Randy Hees

Patterson House at Ardenwood Farm

City of Fremont, California