From:
Hank Burchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 19:13:11 -0500
On Fri, 27 Jan 1995, Bryan Kimmet wrote:

> This message is in response to a message written by Joshua Heuman on
> Jan. 26 which was in response to Nancy Wynen's message.  Below is an
> edited quote from Joshua Heuman:
>
> "...Can anyone really begin questioning any process in terms of fairness,
> logic, accuracy, ets. without the chronological base?  Of course not.
> You must know the facts before you can interpret them! In high school,
> they teach chronology, whereas in University, they teach analysis.  This
> does not mean I favor such a separation between fact and analysis, rather
> it is understandable that there are specific abilities which develop at
> certain 'life stages'  Analytical thought is not usually stressed for
> high school students because more research, more patience, more
> thought is required than merely writing a fact filled research assign-
> ment.  (At least that has been my personal experience with high school
> and University)
>
> Joshua Heuman
> Art History Undergrad"
>
> Josh is right--specific abilities do develop at different stages in a
> human's life.  Josh is also right when he says that analysis is not
> stressed for high school students.  This I think is a terrible shame.
> My experience with high shcool is two fold: I once went to high school,
> I'm now dealing with my 5th year class reunion this summer, and because
> I was both a history major and secondar education major during my under-
> graduate career.  I had numerous experiences in some of the worst
> inner city schools in the Dayton, OH area, and did my student teaching
> at one of the best schools in the state and nation.  I taught junior
> level American History to honor students, as well as to the average
> students.  The National School of Excellence, where I did my student
> teaching apalled me.  History was taught chronologically and facts were
> rained down on all, with no opportunity for discussion and analysis.  In
> fact, all 140 students that I taught had NEVER had to write an essay
> in history either for research or for testing.  I changed that by
> discussing history with them after giving them facts from not only their
> textbook, but from outside sources as well.  then we discussed.  It was
> hard, even for the honors students who were used to taking notes and
> then taking Scantron tests.  I slowly worked them up to a full essay
> exam shortly before my student teaching was over.  by the time I left,
> they had made great strides and showed a real grasp for historical
> analysis.  Unfortunately, I think our society writes kids off.  High
> school students are intellectually prepared for abstract analysis--
> they need to prctice it before they enter college.  I've talked to
> many history professors at my undergraduate institution, as well as
> to history professors in my graduate program where I am a first year
> grad student in PUblic History.  They are scared and appalled at in-
> [...]

       Bryan! Look at your keyboard! See the big key on the right, with
the funny-looking arrow on it? And the word "enter"?
       Push it!  It makes paragraphs! Gives readers a chance to breathe!
       BTW, where were *you* schooled? Who was your composition teacher?

+ + + + +

Hank Burchard * Weekend Section * The Washington Post
1150 15th Street NW * Washington DC USA 20071-0001
VoiceMail (202) 334-7243 * Email: [log in to unmask]