From:
Barbara Winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 11:35:26 -0700
This is discussed briefly by Michael Ames in ' Cannibal Tours and Glass
Boxes', 1992 - sorry I don't have the complete ref. here.

>>         Perhaps of equal or greater relevance for your purposes as a case
>> study would be the experience a few years ago of Janine Cannizzo and the
>> Royal Ontario Museum.  They had prepared an exhibition "Out of Darkest
>> Africa".  The exhibition was cancelled after pressure from the black
>> community in Toronto.
>>
>>         The theme of the exhibition was 19 century white
>> attitudes to Africa as demonstrated by the artifacts whites brought back
>> from Africa.  Obviously such an exhibition had to deal with racism, but
>> to accuse Janine and the ROM themselves as racist because they were
>> mounting an exhibition dealing with racism was arrant nonsense.
>

>Indeed - and I'd love to find out more about it.  Do you have any
>details or could you give me her (or anyone else's) addresses - e-
>mail or otherwise?  Many thanks
>

>Nigel Worden
>History Department, University of Cape Town
>phone: 021-650-2954 / 021-650-2741
>fax: 021-650-4038
>e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Barbara J. Winter, Curator                            tel: (604) 291-3325
Department of Archaeology                          fax: (604) 291-5666
Simon Fraser University                               email:  [log in to unmask]
Canada  V5A 1S6