From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:12:26 -0700
Emily, are you on MuseJobs?

Working together as a team, we provide job links, job
how tos, a place to vent, network, and upload resumes.
 We've had successes.

The group on MuseJobs, for my money (hey, it's free!),
is very caring.  We may not always tell you what you
want to hear, but chances are, there's someone there
with experience who can tell you what you SHOULD hear.
We have just graduates to seasoned professionals, some
with hefty supervisory experience, who have joined
together for the common purpose of finding, getting,
and keeping employment in the museums world.

It's more than just job leads posted.

If you're thinking about joining, today would be a
good day.  Every Saturday or Sunday (for the most
part), I query a number of sites and post the output
so that you have a running start for the week ahead,
and that wonderful man, Jim Roberts, from the
University of Leicester puts up a wonderful bulletin
board online that captures some of those I've
published and many he's discovered.  Just today, he
published a list of 56 jobs.

You're welcome to join us or start your own group if
you feel you'd like to approach this from a different
angle.

You are not alone.  Neither are the 450+ already on
MuseJobs who can offer you wise counsel and empathy.

--- Emily Greenwood <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> So am I.
>
> This is a notice to all the hard working, talented,
> and innovative museum and arts
> education professionals who have made looking for a
> job a full time endeavor. I
> would like to suggest a supportive email list for
> those who are struggling with the
> same situation I am, perhaps a way to communicate
> and network, perhaps to feel
> more active in your own future. I know I have many
> contacts, perhaps not leading me
> to an appropriate position, but maybe for someone
> else. I am sure you all search the
> appropriate job listings (the notifications on this
> list are wonderful, thank you!), but
> being an anonymous, albeit passionate, applicant is
> not as strong as making
> personal contact, which such a network can support.
> If you are interested in an email
> list, which I am willing to start, please contact me
> at [log in to unmask] , and
> state clearly what your situation is and whether you
> can offer help to other
> applicants.
>
> I would also like to comment that there needs to be
> reform in the manner that
> applicants are handled in the human resources and
> personnel departments of these
> organizations. As someone who has handled the hiring
> of employees, I understand
> the stack of papers and daunting list of applicants
> that needs to be processed, but
> behind each stack of paper are individuals who are
> putting themselves out there in
> the hopes that their hard work will be recognized
> and talents appreciated. I strongly
> feel that applicants should be part of the
> communication, notified if the position is
> filled with simple, signed letter, not a postcard
> sent out eight months later. What
> might not be understood is that there are valuable
> people waiting for contact,
> respecting the no phone call rule and hoping that
> they are one of the chosen to at
> least be met. I believe strongly in personal
> contact, and in my past positions have
> always welcomed those who just wanted to talk about
> employment, internships,
> exhibiting artwork, or just being involved.
>
> Thank you all, good luck out there,
>
> Emily Greenwood

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414