From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:15:17 -0500
Wouldn't your best bet be to call a professional conservator? The American
Instutute for the Conservation of Artistic and Historic Artifacts (AIC)
maintains a referral service. Call   (202-452-9545) or send them an e-mail
at:  [log in to unmask] .

Of course that is after you ask yourself a few fundamental questions
including: Why does this object need conservation? How stable is it now? Is
it actively deteriorating and does it need stabalization or am I doing this
because I don't like the way it looks?

Diane

Wayne Haegele wrote:

>I've recently acquired a large (approx. 5 foot tall) bear.  It was used as
a promotional display by >the Hamm's Beer Co. in the 50's and 60's.  The
figure is made of a styrofoam type material.  It >has a dew dings in it.
We'd like to restore it. What would be the best material to fill the dings
and >a suitable paint that wouldn't eat at the foam material?