From:
Tim McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 16:40:38 -0800
I'm not a conservator, but I would say that the benefits/hazards of a
lacquer would depend on just what lacquer you were considering using.  You
should also consider how off-gasing of the lacquer may affect other pieces
in storage/on display near the pots.

At my museum we use micro-crystalline  wax to treat our brass objects that
are subject to tarnishing.  Specifically, we use Renaissance Wax; the item
description for it in our supplier's catalog (Carr McLean) reads, in part;

"The finest Cleaner/Polish Wax available, specified by museums, art
galleries and conservators throughout the world.  It will gently lift the
grime of antiquity and murky deposits of other polishes, leaving the surface
delightful to see and touch."

Cheers,

Tim McShane, Collections Manager
West Parry Sound District Museum
(and not a sales rep. for Carr McLean! ;-))