From:
"Robert O. Dahl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 15:19:56 GMT
A proposal:

Rather than non-specific screening, deal directly with the suspected
offender, people don't do drugs (I include the drug alcohol in this
catagory) regularly at work and not display definite behavioral symptoms.

First, if you have someone on the staff who is in recovery, have them talk
in private with the person and explain that they can get help for their
problem. If this is ineffective, spend a little time to document the
specifics of these behaviors, then call them in and have a talk with them
similar to the following:

"Mr./Ms. Headtrip, your behavior at work has not been acceptable. You have
been late for work on numerous occasions (name the dates), you regularly
return from lunch with the smell of alcohol on your breath (name specific
dates), you leave work early (dates),  you are agressive and suspicious
with your co-workers (cite specific examples) and your behavior has been
bizarre on several occasions (cite examples again). I suspect that you are
using drugs or alcohol. Now, either we will assist you in seeking help for
your problem, or, if you refuse help, you can empty your desk and leave
now. "

I have had close experience with this problem and I feel this is an
effective and humane way to deal with drugs and alcohol in the workplace.

Robert

--
Robert O. Dahl <[log in to unmask]>