From:
Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 23:30:53 -0700
On Mon, 15 Aug 1994, Andrew Nedd wrote:

>         Has anyone out there had experience working with museum
> collections and archives in Russia? I'm leaving soon for Petersburg to
> work in the State Russian Museum and the Saltykov-Schedrin Library, and I
> will spend some time in the Tretiakov galley in Moscow. I'm wondering if
> anyone has any insights and suggestions in doing research in these
> institutions?

I returned from SPB on 16 June about a month of research at various
museums in SPB (including Pushkin and Pavlovsk).  I have found that my
introductions and prior research paid off when I went.  I have contacts
at Hermitage, Russian Museum, Kunstkammer, and Pavlovsk who greatly
helped me with my searches and questions.

I will say that it helps to know what it is that you are seeking and to
attempt to contact the institution long before you get there (mail is
incredibly slow with a two-month turn around not being uncommon.  Often
mail does not get delivered promptly.)  If you know what is where, that
will help pave your way.  It also doesn't hurt to take some small gift to
show your appreciation especially if that person is helpful (tea, jam,
expresso instant coffee, and so forth are okay--and be prepared for
sitting for tea once you have established a relationship).

Most musuems will be welcoming if your project and credentials are well
presented (hence the need for a contact letter.  Telephoning is possible,
but expensive and sometimes frustrating.)  You will find that most people
are genuinely interested in what you have to present.

Everything takes about twice as long as in the US, so don't be in a hurry.

You may want to contact the Internet group Friends and Partners at
[log in to unmask] asking for assistance.  Friends and Partners is
a Russian/American joint news group.

Good Luck
Dave Wells