From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 22:33:29 -0500
Sally,

I am not in the least a sports fan - I was never conditioned tobe an
enthusiast - but I am particularly not fond of sports because of the gross
commercialization of sports.  BUT... I can't agree with your generalization
here -->

> Here in Milwaukee ........ Breathless, feverish news reports give us
>daily updates on the deal. I'm trying hard to imagine anyone getting this
>excited over building a new MUSEUM here.

But then "here" refering to Milwaukee may be the operative notion.

If you look at the museum scene in other cities, Chicago immediately leaps
to mind - I think that you would find that museums - new museums, in
particular,  are heralded as something good, respectable, worthy of support
an admiration - and not gendered.  I think the same may be held as true in
other European cities, Cologne, Copenhagen, Bilbao, etc. and certainly all
over Japan - I think its a culture and class thing - not necessarily a
gender thing...

>Americans subconsciously cling to the
>mystical ideal of the nuclear family and the male breadwinner.

I don't agree with this at all, but maybe I'm in some kind of a bubble.

Nevertheless, I think it all boils down to the fact that in the schools *in
this country* the arts are the first to go when the budget cuts hit.  I
recently moved to New York from Michigan - where the governor - when
inaugurated - made a statement regarding his personal education in the arts
- it turns out that his mother decorated cakes and made crotched doilies.
Upon becoming governor - he slashed the state support to the biggest arts
institution in Michigan (the Detroit Institute of Arts) and held his
inaugural ball at the museum - mixed messages, huh?  But the point is - the
man never had any arts education - didn't/doesn't have a clue about
art/arts education/museums.  The good news is that the community rallied
behind the museum and the board (mostly men, true,  but with a good
smattering of women) raised the money to keep the place alive and healthy -
the biggest chunk of change towards the funding campaign came from
individuals and families - not corporations.   As Eric suggested ( and as I
trust will happen anyway)  you need to hone your arguments.  But good luck!
Its a long road!

Suzanne Quigley (my opinion)