From:
Julia Silver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:42:04 -0500
I am currently working with a large collection of vacuum tubes to process, accession, and house them. A few I have come across have liquid mercury inside of them, some in larger quantities.

We are searching for a way to store these tubes and I would really appreciate some opinions on how to do this.

Our thinking right now is that an unbreakable (i.e. plastic) container that is entirely seal-able would be best as all the vacuum tubes are going to be stored in two large cabinets. This way, if these containers holding the tubes fall, and the tube breaks inside of it, the mercury doesn't contaminate the whole collection. So we were thinking of properly labeling something like Tupperware to store them in.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone encountered a problem like this before?

Thanks so much!