From:
Shane Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:58:01 -0500
Hi,

I think a great place to start would be to read Nina Simon's article "Rethinking Membership: What Does it Mean to Belong to a Museum?" on her blog Museum 2.0.  While a bit old now (from 2007), it still starts you to think critically about your membership program. In particular, are your memberships simply value focused, in that the membership program focuses primarily on providing discounts and free visits to members who return? Or do they provide a deeper connection to the institution and promote the idea of investing into the museum and its mission?

Simon has more articles on her blog dedicated to reshaping the standard way in which museum professionals perceive their membership program and I would encourage you to read them. These principals can apply to a large metropolitan museum or a small rural institution.

All the best,

Shane Stuart
Annual Giving Manager
Historic Huguenot Street