From:
Bernard Barryte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 12:33:24 -0800
Not quite a museum:

An exhibition of torture instruments from Nuremburg Castle circulated in
1893.  A booklet accompanied the exhibition:  "Illustrated Catalog of the
Historical and World-Renowned Collection of torture Instruments, etc from
the Royal Castle of Nuremberg...lent for exhibition by the Right Honorable
Earl of Schrewsbury and Talbot...now on view at 115 and 117 West
Twenty-third St....New York."  Items 1-699 were objects; items 700 through
1325 encompassed "The Collection of Prints and Engravings showing the
application of the various tortures in different countries."

Opening this publication at random, it includes #83 Executioner's Sword
inscribed with the verses:  "The world steers towards mischief and I
execute justice..."; "#258 Very Powerful Iron Foot-presser,"  and "264 Iron
Spider.  This instrument...with long sharp claws, was used to grip the
flesh of various portions of the body and then tear it away.  Was very
frequently used on women, whom it horribly mutilated."

As museum professionals its good to know that the organizers paid such
close attention to educating the public through explanatory texts.

Bernard Barryte
Cantor Arts Center, Stanford University

Hello Everyone-
>        This past summer I was on a vacation in Belgium.  While there I
>visited a castle in Gent which had a exhibition on torture in it.  It may
>seem like an odd interest, but I was wondering if there were any such
>museums in the United States.  I have never heard of any around here but I
>am sure someone on this discussion list knows something about them.  More
>specifically, are there any in the Midwest.
>
>Sarah Rens

Bernard Barryte
Associate Director / Chief Curator
Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-5060

tel:  650/ 725-0466  fax: 650/ 725-0464