From:
Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 10:26:17 -0400
>Compu$erve and Unisys dropped a bomb over the holidays saying,
>it seems, that they plan to charge for use of the GIF compression
>format starting January 10. I've found conflicting interpretations
>Robbin Murphy

RRE (newsletter sort of thing) has distributed a posting from risks-list
that goes over this matter in great and glorious detail.  If anyone is
interested, I would be glad to forward -- it's too long to post to the list
unannounced and unsolicited.

Upshot is ... better switch to JPEG and hope whoever holds the rights to
*that* doesn't pull any fast ones, too.

Mario Rups