From:
"D. Kent Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:01:13 -0500
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:20:54 -0500, Finney, Susan E Cooper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We also do not use the "Positionable Mounting Adhesive"(PMA) because it
>leaves too much adhesive residue, and doesn't stick very well over time.

We've only had the real serious problems with larger prints (cibas and c-prints, rc etc.) and like I said the porous materials...like
inkjets....but I've mounted hundreds of b&w rc prints, cibas and c-prints to either gatorboard or Sintra, in sizes up to 20x24 or so,
and had no problems....if a little adhesive goo gets on a print surface, we use PEC-12 to clean it up, or we "roll" it off gently like
you would rubber cement...be careful with PEC-12 though, because it will strip the emulsion right off certain types of prints....we
mounted a good 150-200 or so 8x10 through 20x24 b&w rc prints to oversized Sintra "album" pages in a freestanding exhibit
component for an exhibit back in 1992 or so, and that thing stayed on display for a good couple of years under heavy conditions
of use...it was a huge photo album that visitors could flip through & run their hands all over the prints...we were concerned that
they would try to peel them off or deface them, but they survived unscathed...to this day those prints are still on the boards, even
though they're in storage....I did all the label copy for this thing too, by shooting handwritten notes onto Kodalith and making RC
prints and mounting them the same way....all that survived as good as day one with PMA.... the paper based digtal output,
however...it failed miserably in a short time...if any of you all visited us during this time, I'm referring to the Women's History
Exhibit we had when our new building opened....the photo albums in our lobby are done the same way now, and the PMA really
does a great job for this.

>> (I refer to it as "once it sticks, you'd better hope it's
>right cause you don't get a second chance) and doesn't lift during the
>lifetime of the exhibit.

yeah, I've heard of that stuff...we used to use tons of spray mount as well...I hate mounting large prints like this because you only
get one shot at it...and if it's something fancy, you better not mess it up...even thr PMA is a pain with big prints...sometimes it
takes 2 people to get a good handle on it. Flush mounting is about the easiest with it, if you can get away with that technique....

>Also, we print most of our labels and small photos out on a printer that can
>accomodate 13" x 19" paper (HP Desk Jet 1120 or 1200),

Just out of curiosity, how do these hold up? We use a wide format HP printer with outdooor inks, and I have an Epson 3000 in my
office...but I had to do some prints for a short run exhibit last year, and the Epson was out of ink (backorder)...so I used an HP
Deskjet 960 at the last minute...and those prints only lasted about a month or two before some severe color shifts took place...lucky
for us they were monochrome, so it really didn't matter just how they shifted....we'll just throw them away when the exhibit
changes out, but I wouldn't use that printer again --ever-- for any more output. That's completely unacceptable to me in terms of
quality.

>If you need a protective overcoat, use a clear lexan overlaminate.

That depends on your exhibit lighting as well...alot of glare, you know....we have used some UV lacquers in the past, mostly with
inkjets done onto heavy canvas for signage, but we have a big spray booth as well to do this in...I wouldn't suggest doing it
without great ventilation....but inkjets are really suscetible to damage from fingerprints, abrasion, moisture etc....I've seen signage
just destroyed from people running their mitts all over it...a better solution is to actually print out onto vinyl if you can do it, with
outdoor inks...

>FYI, I've been producing and designing labels and exhibits since 1976, and
>am familar with all the old techniques--

What, no Kroy typer???

KT

Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my agency.