From:
Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:29:22 -0400
On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Elizabeth Walton wrote:

> I know Filemaker works on both PC and MAC. It is updated every so often
and

Forgive me, but ... PC means "personal computer".  It could be running
Windows, or Linux, or Unix, or OS/2 (mine does), or even something else
altogether.  The newest Macs are running OS/X, which, I gather, is Linux
based.  "PC and MAC" therefore doesn't really answer the question, since
neither represents only one operating system.

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Campbell wrote:

> My present feeling on this is that you should find the best system to
> do the job in the environment (OS, network, etc.) you currently/plan
> to exist in, factoring for budget limitations...and then make sure it

And factoring in what Admin wants, as opposed to what IT is counselling.
If someone powerful enough up in Admin wants Windoze, then the entire
institution will be stuck with Windoze, and that's pretty well that.

At any rate: the archives division of the National Air and Space Museum of
the Smithsonian is using Filemaker Pro; their programmer, whom I know
quite well, will be out of town until the week after Labour Day week, but
I know she is quite pleased with its performance and flexibility.  The
resulting website (which does include graphics) is not available to the
public, so I can provide no URL.  However, if someone is seriously
considering Filemaker Pro and wishes to get in touch with her to ask
specific questions about that particular product in an almost-museum
environment (it's a museum archive; mutatis mutandis, however ...), I
could provide you with contact information (and bribe her with chocolate
to forgive me! <grin>).  I do suspect she would tell you, however, that
you'll need a programmer to customize things for your data and needs and
to get the best and most efficient use out of it -- but, then, I also
suspect the same would be said about any DBMS.

Mario Rups