From:
Edward Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:31:59 -0400
> -----Original Message-----
...> Behalf Of Steve Frevert
> Sent: July 29, 2000 16:31
...> Subject: labels in historic site museums

> I would like some reactions about a proposal to use informational
> labels on machinery and artifacts in our working historic grist
> mill museum, where tours are led by docents.  Do you consider
> this to be helpful or distracting?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

In the village and ships area of Mystic Seaport we have a number of
exhibits which are labeled and a number which have virtually no labels.
The difference is, who do we want the visitors to listen to.  In the
Ropewalk we have extensive labeling to explain the process; this exhibit is
one which does not generally have live interpretation, and we need it to
stand on its own, be secure and tell a story without the benefit of an
interpreter.  Our Shipsmith Shop, on the otherhand, has no labels as we
expect the interpreter to demonstrate and engage the visitors.  We feel
that here labels would distract from the exchange and the experience of
being in that space (and besides they'd be impossible to keep clean).

Much of the interpretation in the village area is third-person.  Where we
use a space for first-person interpretation we have minimal labeling which
is easily hidden by the interpreters when they are in that space.

For a tour such as you are describing, large "title" labels may be useful
to reinforce the message that the docent is trying to give.  While
providing lots of text might tend to distract the crowd and may slow down
the tour (for the one or two folks who would want to read every word),
large "titles" to identify certain machines or color-coded ribbons on
belting to show transfer of power, might be of assistance to docents as
they tell their story.  What is more important to you, a "pristine" grist
mill great for photo opportunities, or "props" which will help visitors
understand what they are seeing.  Only you can answer that question, and it
depends on the quality of your docent-led tours, the audience that visits
your site and the objectives you wish to achieve.

Edward Baker
Assistant Director of Interpretation

MYSTIC SEAPORT
The Museum of America and the Sea