From:
nicholas burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:44:22 -0500
It's terrible when Luddites pose as "knowledge workers." Obviously, a machine transcription is not the same a good trained (in transcription, linguistics, and subject matter)human. But, I also have read some "human" transcriptions that give the machine stiff competition in howlers.Currently, very good transciption programs are a good cheap way to establish a rough draft of a recording. Humans need to be involved at some point (depends on funds and institutional needs)and paricularly in the editing phase. Unfortunately most oral histories are not worth either the time it took to record them, nor the time to transcribe them. Most folks unfortunately are pretty inacticulate and most oral historians are pretty poor interviewers. Given all that, a software transcription as a first draft is not a bad choice. Peace, Nick