From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 14:44:06 -0500
On Jan 26, 1996 12:56:26, 'Raelyn Campbell <[log in to unmask]>'
wrote:

>I think the original comment about a survey where the old-timers seemed
more
>loy
>al and tended towards cohesiveness, whereas the younger/new-comers seemed
more
>ikely to sell out (that was the between-the-lines idea, right?) has SOME
>validit
>y...

Wrong.  I neither implied nor intended to assert that younger workers were
more likely to "sell out" than older ones.  I don't see how the need to
focus on one's job to the possible exclusion of related tasks
(specialization) implies "selling out."  Nor is the propensity of younger
workers to move around from job to job within and/or without an institution
a "selling out."  I would look at that tendency as an often necessary
routine prerequisite to finding one's footing, to determining which area is
best suited.

Initiation, growth, development, maturation: these are the operative
concepts here.  How do these phenomena take form in the museum community.
That is the question.  If this idea has relevance to museum-l in splinters,
it is because people are looking in museum-l for a communication vehicle
that fits their needs and interests.

--

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant