From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:12:32 -0800
My esteemed listmate, Patrick Boylan, sent the
following pronouncement over the sea and across the
wires, racing to a computer near you:

--- Boylan P <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> More seriously, anyone who wants to write in one
> case only should use
> capitals - which are much more readable than all
> lower case/

Actually, they're not, not if you have any kind of an
attention or reading difficulty.  They are much harder
to read.

I was diagnosed--at long last and hurrah for the key
that unlocked the door to long-unanswered questions
and issues in my life--with the inattentive type of
Attention Deficit in 1997.  It was a genuine epiphany
and, by studying same (don't laugh, there may be many
of you on list who have this same "gift" and are
undiagnosed since ADHD was not truly recognized until
1968, thereby skipping many a Boomer, and ladies have
been seriously underlooked in this phenomenon), I've
been able to better understand some of my own
perceived personality quirks.

With that said, getting page-long paragraphs, or
things typed in all caps are a sure-fire way to make
sure I ain'ta gonna read yer stuff (is that colloquial
enough for you?).

As for the caps or no-caps issue (which has to be an
incredibly preposterous thread unto itself), many a
computer program (I think Unix-based immediately comes
to mind, but there may be others) REQUIRE that you
type in lower case.  So there is validity to the
argument that a number of folks in the on-line
community would go the no-caps routine.

Last week, I believe we had one of the best weeks ever
here on Museums List (or at least the best in my
tenure here, over two years).  We had a wonderful,
free-flowing debate about a very controversial subject
matter, allowed for some levity, and heard from people
we rarely engage (the infamous phantom lurkers).

Now, in just a few days time, we're going in the other
direction, spending far too much time (in my mind) in
the elitist mindset of "Thou must stick to convention
because it's the hoity-toity thing to do."

Very interesting, but dumb! (Doing my best Arte
Johnson impression here.)

As one who once typed well over 100 WPM (hey, it was a
job to pay the bills), I can tell you without
equivocation, typing is a pain.  The brain is a hell
of a lot faster than the fingers.  Sometimes, just to
get the thoughts out, to allow for the free-flow of
dialogue, you skip the convention and go for the
message.  It's called communication.

I dunno, I find this whole thread amazingly absurd,
and even more absurd, find myself adding to the
dysfunctionality of it all.

Where is my shrink's number? <g>

=====
Indigo Nights