From:
Tom Reitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2013 14:43:13 +0000
Here at the Waterloo Region Museum and Doon Heritage Village in Kitchener, Ontario, facilities maintenance (building repair and maintenance, landscaping, operation and upkeep of HVAC equipment, cleaning, snow plowing, utilities costs, etc.) is completed by and/or coordinated by staff who report to a municipal department - the museum is owned and operated by the same municipality.  The museum's budget is charged a fee for all these services, utilities, and the staff associated with performing the tasks.

Throughout this year we've been reviewing the facilities maintenance tasks and detailing the work they do for us.  As part of that review, we've been discussing what the per square foot operating cost is for our modern structures (the Waterloo Region Museum and the Region of Waterloo Curatorial Centre); the per square foot for the 20+ buildings in our living history village; and the per acre cost of maintaining the 56 acre property.  At your museum, you may also know this as a lease rate.

We’re wondering if any other museum - municipally owned or not - has looked in detail at their per square foot operating costs.  Our municipality would like to compare our costs to other museums - as much as that will be possible, since each of our facilities are unique.

Thanks in advance – and we’ll be pleased to share our findings.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Reitz

Manager/Curator

Waterloo Region Museum

10 Huron Rd, Kitchener, ON, N2P 2R7

t – 519-748-1914 ext. 3270

f – 519-748-0009

Exploring Trees Inside and Out – now open!

Ceva Romanesc – Community Highlight exhibit – now open!

www.waterlooregionmuseum.com

Confidentiality Notice:  This email correspondence (including any attachments) may contain information that is confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law, and is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) listed above.  Any unauthorized use or disclosure is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, or have otherwise received this message by mistake, please notify the sender by replying via email, and destroy all copies of this original correspondence (including any attachments).  Thank you for your cooperation.