From:
Laurent Lux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:53:00 -0400
At 22:16 21-04-98 -0400, you wrote:
>I am interested in finding out more about your project.
>
>alex wilson
>opasakwayak cree nation
>
>I am currently a student in M.A. anthropology program in Laval University
(Quebec city). I am concerned about the relationship between museums and
native peoples in North America, so that I am writing to request if it
would be possible to interview you or members of your organization for my
research.
        The main objective of my project is to piece together the history of the
repatriation of native artifacts in order to explore the relationship
between museums and natives in political and intellectual contexts.
Moreover, this project will first attempt to define the notions of "ethnic
image" created by museums and of "cultural heritage" claimed by First
Nations, and then show how these notions were born in the history of
museology and anthropology. This should help analyze the content of
cultural policies established by Canadian and American museums, as well as
national and international legislation.
        This project will also examine the on-going repatriation debate in Canada
and the United States in order to compare the situations in these
countries. Interviews and questionnaires will support this research
project, which will investigate 20 Canadians museums, 20 Americans museums,
20 native institutions in Canada, and 20 native institutions in United States.

Laurent Lux
1359 4th Avenue
Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
G1J 3B7