From:
Chris Andersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 16:42:31 -0500
On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Greta Brunschwyler wrote:

> <snip . . .>
> at the Southern Oregon Historical Society, we are exploring the research
> opportunities on the WWW.  Our chief question, unfortunately, remains:  are
> there research opportunities on the web?  We would like to be able to access
> card catalogs, articles, perhaps even some intstiution's photo collections.
> If there are those of you out there who have effectively been using the net
>  for such purposes, I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences.  And perhap
> there are some of you who could answer another burning question:  is Netscape
> really the greatest thing since sliced bread?  Is it helpful for research or
> merely just a link to a vast world of entertainment?

Matt:

I've only been on the net for about two months but I have found it so
useful for research purposes that I wouldn't want to be without it.  Mind
you, my research interests may be somewhat different from yours.  I'm into
archaeology, cultural resource management, heritage conservation,
education and legislation, aboriginal and settlement history,
zooarchaeology, as well as the history of railways and boatbuilding in
Ontario.

I have found that the various discussion lists are (usually) incredibly
informative and the participants very helpful whenever I have an inquiry.
University and library card catalogues, institutional, corporate and
individual www web sites, and so on, has provided me with almost
instantaneous access to a wealth of data I wouldn't otherwise have been
aware of, or else pointed me in the best direction to find it.

While perhaps not the greatest thing since sliced bread, it sure beats
beats soda crackers!

Chris J.-Andersen ([log in to unmask])

DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressed here are strictly those of the author
             and not those of his employer!