From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:22:08 -0600
Tracy et al.,

We have had similar conversations before on the list, so you should be able
to find other thoughts in the archives.

Working your way into any professional field is often an uphill battle, not
just in museums. The market in museums has definitely tightened up since I
was a fresh graduate(oh so long ago it seems), but there are still jobs out
there. I always try to give students here at the university or elsewhere
who are thinking about the museum field a few points to think about. They
are generally based on my own experiences, and not necessarily true for
everyone.

1. Experience is important, if not critical. It is important to be able to
show a prospective employer that you can handle a particular job. However
it is also very important to demonstrate that you know where you are going
with that experience. 10 random internships will not serve you nearly as
well as two or three very focused ones along the same lines. At the very
least prioritize them in your presentation of your career to date.

2. Your masters degree IS experience, and should be marketed as such.

3. "Entry level" no longer truly exists in terms of advertised positions,
and there are almost none that do not require the ill-defined experience
quotient. Internships ARE entry level positions, which can turn into real
positions if one is fortunate, and the museum is looking. Employers
generally understand that "experience" is a very loaded and subjective
term. They will be making a great many judgement calls when it comes to
applicants, and more experience is not necessarily better. You want better
experience.

4. You are a commodity in a flooded market. You need to push yourself.
Passive searching and waiting for the perfect position to throw itself at
your feet will normally just lead to frustration. Decide where you want to
be(physically), when in terms of your career, and how to get there, then do
it. Be as open as possible to change, and try not to limit your options.
Market yourself and make the calls. If you are interested in an area or a
specific institution, then do not wait around for them to offer a position
formally. No one is offended by such a call(at least they should not be).

5. Keep in mind that most museum employers are looking for something very
specific to fill a position, whether the ad says so or not. When you see
something that interests you, call them and let them know who you are and
why you are interested. You may find out immediately that you are not going
to be interested. NEVER just send someone your resume and wait for a
response; EVER!. You do not need to be pushy, which is often a bad idea,
but you do need to be proactive in getting your voice, name, and
information to the top of the pile.

6. Keep your resume clean and concise. Do not pad it and do not overwhelm
the potential employer with detail. The harder it is to read and the harder
the critical information is to find, the less likely it will be read or
found. If you are not applying for a position that involves graphic design,
then do not overdesign your resume.

7. All museum positions involve some degree of multitasking. Most of us do
at least two jobs that a perfect world would split into multiple positions.
Be open to that, and knowledgeable of many things, but maintain a focus in
the eyes of the employer, as well as in your own career direction. Do not
tell an employer that you are willing to do whatever the job entails. That
is weak, and tells your potential employer nothing of note. Show them that
you understand the job's requirements, and that it is well within your
professional ability.

8. It is so often the little things that make an individual candidate stand
out, beyond their professional qualifications. Make sure you let your
potential employer know why you are interested in their institution, their
city, their state. Just being interested in the job is not particularly
noteworty. All of the people who apply are interested as well as qualified
to varying degrees. Be the one that stands out for a reasons that fit your
interests, directions, and personal/professional goals.

If you already know all of these things and are doing them, then hopefully
it is just a matter of time.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Tracy Leach
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Professional advice

             11/05/2005 11:06
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I  am a recent graduate with a Masters in Public History.  I have completed
several internships and am doing all that I can to gain valuable experience
so  that  one day I will be able to find a job in the museum profession.  I
have  noticed  that  these days even getting a job in what is considered an
entry  level  position  seems to require a lot of experience.  Sometimes it
feels  like applying for jobs is an uphill battle.  I have been considering
getting  an  archival or museum studies certificate in the hopes of gaining
more education and experience.  I was wondering if people who hire for jobs
in  this  field  would  give  me some advice in this area.  Do you think my
getting  a  certificate is worth my time and money, or is it a waste?  I am
more  than  happy to continue with internships. Unfortunately, after having
gone  to  graduate  school,  I really need to find internships that pay and
those  are  few and far between.  Any advice would be helpful.  I just need
to know what I can do to help myself become more marketable to employers in
this field.

Thanks,

Tracy Ann

Subscriber Information: