From:
Steven Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:40:52 -0400
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Gregg Biggs, Secretary, Friends of Camps Boone and Burnett,
Inc.
931.920.3063, [log in to unmask] OR
Civil War Heritage Site Gets Second Chance
Clarksville, TN – Friday, September 10, 2004

Some of the immediate threat may have passed for the future of a local
Montgomery County, Tennessee historic treasure.  The historic site of Camp
Boone, a Civil War era recruiting and mustering camp for Kentuckians in
1861, has been the talk of the town lately.  Initially threatened by
commercial development, it appears that there may be some very good
possibilities for the historic site on the horizon.

One of the leaders in the Camp Boone preservation efforts, local lawyer
Cleo Hogan commented,

“The "Friends of Camps Boone & Burnett, Inc" should be incorporated this
month in the State of TN, and IRS non-profit status will be applied for
within another month, and should be approved within six months or less,
allowing for holiday vacations for federal workers!  For the present, the
Arts and Heritage Development Council has graciously allowed us to be a
part of their efforts to develop the heritage of the area, and we are using
their address, and donations made now are IRS deductible charitable
contributions.
One of our most promising leads right now is that the first lot for sale in
front of Camp Boone, that connects it with the US 79 highway, is for sale
at $75,000.  It could have 150 foot of road frontage, which would include
the 1861 dirt road to Camp Boone.  Strategies for acquiring this lot are
needed.  Owning this land would help tremendously in our efforts to apply
for grant monies!”

"Surprisingly, there is a whole lot of historical data out there about Camp
Boone that seems to have not been gone through by anyone before.  We have a
fantastic story to tell on our hands.  The connections to Fort Donelson and
our greater region are phenomenal," said Greg Biggs, president of the
Clarksville Civil War Roundtable and secretary of the Board of Directors
for the new non-profit.
Plans are still underway for a cooperative effort between several heritage
groups and the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center in Clarksville that
will lead to the creation of a comprehensive driving tour of Civil War
sites that will include the sites of training camps, forts, battles,
historic homes and cemeteries.  Camp Boone is to be a pivotal part of the
planned map tour.   Clarksville has a wonderfully rich and colorful
history.  The future looks bright for our City, County, Region and tourism
if these projects can blossom.
“The possibilities seem to be endless right now.  We have officers for our
Board of Directors, and our main efforts at this point are being geared
towards measuring the pros and cons of each idea.  The strides we have made
in just 3 months have really astounded me.  The main thing we need right
now is volunteers to help out with putting these good ideas to work,”
commented Vice President of the Board Steven Stewart.  Those wanting to
help may contact Mr. Stewart at 931.648.5780 and
[log in to unmask] or Mr. Biggs at 931.920.3063 and
***