From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:35:40 -0400
Jim,

I have been working on this post off and on all day and some people
have already recommended some of these stops, but what the heck. Here
goes.

Bear in mind although Baltimore is my home town I have not been back
in a couple of years. My info may be a smidge old.

Depending on your tastes and needs Baltimore is a wealth of
interesting museums and places to eat.

My recommendation would be to get to the Inner Harbor and get a Day
Pass or Weekend Pass for one of the Water Taxis and just take it from
one stop to the other, getting off at each landing and enjoying the
sites and sights.

Using that as your base you can visit the following, all of which I
recommend:

The Maryland Science Center

The American Visionary Art Museum

The Baltimore Museum of Industry (the best museum on Baltimore history
with cutting edge, award winning hands-on programs like the Assembly
Line and Kids Cannery)

Fort McHenry: Eating suggestion. Go to Cross Street Market and
assemble a meal from the various stalls and take it to Fort McHenry
for a picnic on the water. If it is raining go to Rallo's on Fort
Avenue for good Diner grub from waitresses who will call you Hon. I
recommend the bread, split pea soup and French Fries with gravy.

Fells Point for excellent seafood at a number of bars/restaurants like
Bertha's, John Stevens, the Wharf Rat, the Cat's Eye, and the
Waterfront and quaint maritime architecture. (I recommend you actively
eschew Harbor Place for good Baltimore seafood.) Just don't go at
night as it turns into a drunken college town. There are a couple of
new museums that sprang up since i left in 1999. This is also the
neighborhood where they filmed most of the 90's television show
Homicide: Life on the Streets. If you were a fan, you will recognize a
lot the of the scenery.

Little Italy

The Baltimore Maritime Museum (which I believe is now run by Living
Classrooms)

The National Aquarium (of course)

Baltimore Public Works Museum.

The Constellation.

I hear the new Reginald Lewis African-American MUseum is a good stop,
but I have not returned to Baltimore since it opened.

You can get a good visit to Baltimore by sticking to the Water taxi
routes. However you'll miss the following:

THe B&O Railroad Museum. 20 some acres or so with 200 pieces of
rolling stock. Their round house roof (123 feet high) caved in a
couple of years ago from snow build up. Their recovery is the single
best "lemonade from lemons" story in American museum history and they
interpret it quite nicely.

The National Museum of Dentistry. Yeah, I know. But if you are
anywhere near Camden Yards you should stop in. They take a topic
almost no one cares about, and many are even scared of, and make it
interesting and fun. My guess is you have already seen some of their
exhibits since their fabricators have used images in their ads in
Museum News. It's a small museum and can see it in an hour and it is
really fun.

Great Blacks in Wax on North Avenue. Don't laugh until you go. They
have the normal wax museum like displays with famous figures in
diorama-like exhibitions. But they have two exhibits that every
American should see. One of a hold of a slave ship with attendant
sound effects and another on lynching. If you think lynching was just
about ropes and nooses, you don't know jack about lynching in the Jim
Crow south. Newspaper accounts of mutilations and torture accompany
large-as-life, gruesome displays of the activities in question. It
isn't for the faint of heart or kids, but it is a part of US history
and I don't think any museum on tourism main street will ever be able
to do an exhibit like this. The neighborhood can be sketchy but if you
are a museum professional, leave what you think you know about wax
museums in the hotel room and see what a marginalized community can do
for itself to recover a lost past on their own.

Lunch at the Women's Industrial Exchange. If this restaurant has
closed, please don't tell me. It is close to the epicenter of
Baltimore on Charles Street. The waitresses are old and surly and all
wear thick orthopedic shoes, the service can be slow their blue plate
special is served on a blue plate, and it is the only restaurant I
have ever eaten at that served tomato aspic. I didn't eat it, mind
you. Just knowing it is there is charm enough for me.  Their is no
better lunch experience in Baltimore.

That's all I can think of for now. I will leave you with the web site
of the Greater Baltimore Area History Alliance. I am sure you will
find SOMETHING to your tastes there.

http://www.baltimoremuseums.org/

Have fun. If you make it to Poe's grave at Westminster Hall tell him I
said hey.

Matt White

On Monday, April 13, 2009, at 09:51AM, "Sarah Gamble" <[log in to unmask]