From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:34:12 -0500
On 11/30/05, "Dr. Christian Müller-Straten" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> just imagine a museum in Istambul, in Bagdad, in Delhi or in Beijing:
> Can you expect this political correctness all over the world? I think we
> have a right to be incorrect. Museums are open all year round, and other
> audiences may be attracted at other times. And why not invite other
> religious groups to see what it means having Christmas? Is Christmas not
> an essential part of the anglosaxon culture?

Not to join the frey but I think the issue here is that you get into
the sticky issue of federally, state, or locally funded museums
holding "religious" programs. It's one thing if the program is part
the interpretation of a historic site. It's another when your state
funded science museum holds a "Christmas party" for the public.

Public schools are only allowed to do "holiday" themed things and not
specify any one religion. I remember that this changed in the very
early 80s because when I was in elementary school, we had "Christmas"
programs (with the token dreidel song) and by jr. high, we couldn't do
anything specific to any religion. So Frosty the Snowman was ok but
"We Wish You a Merry Christmas" was right out. My band director had us
play "We Need a Little Christmas" as an unlisted encore in protest. :)

I'd say that if people are doing a living history program interpreting
the Christmas season (or another holiday season) it is appropriate for
them to say "Merry Christmas" or other holiday greeting. If not, just
say "Happy Holidays".

If you really want to play it safe, say nothing at all and just thank
people for coming.

deb