From:
Jennifer Nuske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 20:25:45 +1000
We have a small house museum. Although it has a long association with one
family it has been fitted out as a typical home of the period. The was
because we lacked detail and trully wanted it to represent a typical home
of the period.

Now we have some possessions of a family member who once lived there. We
have so few items that once belonged to the historic site in general that
these items are all the more valuable. While I have some concerns about
security my concern here is the display of the items. Pieces like the
hatbox would be simple to place.

The more difficult items are the books with their sentimental
inscriptions.Placing them in the room gives them the context they would
most likely have had in their use but does not testify to their value they
have now attained. Their condition could easily deteriorate with guides
handling them whist satisfying the natural curiosity of visitors. At the
same time I did not want to place these items in a case in the period
display rooms which I believe would look ridiculous. The only other option
is to place them in a case in the interpretation room. My problem then is
that these items will most likely be viewed as 'sacred objects of this
particular family. This is not what this house museum is about.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jennifer
Jennifer Nuske