From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:30:18 -0700
With all of the problems happening in Florida
recently, supervision of underage volunteers is a
definite risk. And, this is so unfortunate, as this is
a way to get young people interested in Science and
other museum specialties.

During the 1980s, Pittsburgh's original Buhl
Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science had a
fairly simple policy regarding underage volunteers.
The child could volunteer, so long as a parent or
legal guardian was in the building at the time the
child was volunteering.

So, this did limit the time the child could volunteer.
However, in most cases, the parent would have to
transport the child to and fron the museum,
anyway--so, it really was not that limiting.

Often, it turned-out the entire family [or, at least
one of the parents with the child or children]
volunteered. There are at least two families, that
immediately come to mind, that volunteered in this
way; and there were probably a few others.

Two of these underage volunteers from the 1980s went
on to work at Buhl Planetarium--and, later, The
Carnegie Science Center. And, one of these underage
volunteers from the 1980s recently wrote to tell me
that, this Summer, she will be participating in an
Astronomy research team that will use Lick Observatory
to look for planets in other star systems!

So, even with the limitation of having parents or
guardians attend with a child, underage volunteering
can be successful!

gaw