From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:37:12 -0700
Well, I'd like to agree with the two of you.  However, in the US, the
Courts have ruled that the computer is the employer's, the documents
are his, and that even extends to email notes.

Caution is the order of the day.  Do not store things on your hard
drive you do not want "discovered," and try, where possible, to keep a
copy of Norton's Utilities on your puter if you are concerned about
being invaded.  With Norton's, when you delete a file, you can wipe it
clean, such that the space that document is contained in is completely
written over by ooooos or some other similar character.

Actually, as long as we're talking about discoverability, in a
litigatory sense, those who sue are now demanding backups of your hard
drive, including file fragments, so it makes good sense to be careful.

When you delete a file, it simply changes the first character of the
file name to a "?".  Anyone with the right tools, such as Norton's,
can recover that file.  Best to wipe it rather than to simply erase
it, and best to not put things on your puter you do not want to later
be embarrassed by.

Indigo Nights
Southern California

---Hervé Gagnon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I agree with Ross on this one: a computer is a personal tool and, as
long as you
> use it in your employer's best interest, it should remain personal.
==
Indigo Nights