From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 12:23:03 -0400
Deb, we have the SAME problems.  I don't have an answer...if I did we
wouldn't have the problems!  And it doesn't matter what kind of day it is.
We have sought some other sorts of ideas for programming/hands on activities
because I honestly feel, in our region, we are saturated with traditional
spinning, hearth cooking, butter making etc. etc. We have one of the most
important folk festivals in the nation a stone's throw  from us in August
(Goschenhoppen Folk Festival, a MUST SEE) (www.goschenhoppen.org) and I
think they do those activities better than anyone.
Our very clever educator, subsequently, has "hooked up" with the 4H in our
county.  We instead have started to focus on more general ideas that fit
into the interpretation of traditional rural life...such a horse program
(they learned about horses, got to meet horses, and celebrated our PA future
Triple Crown winner ...how's that for optimism! Go Smarty!) and sewing (our
educator received a grant to purchase sewing machines...the kids are
clamoring to do this...who'da thunk?) And it's sewing for contemporary
kids...but still, they are learning a "traditional" skill that I think fits
in well with our overall interpretive program.
Candace Perry