From:
Robert Handy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 12:27:57 -0600
marie maxwell wrote:

> Well I wasn't all that forthcomming with info but maybe a bit more will
> give you an idea of all the mess this involves.
> The museum is the National Sports Gallery (I think that's the proper name)
> somewhere in the MCI Arena.  The problem is that it is sponsored by MCI
> and actually run by another organization, whose main activty is feeding
> people. Another complication is that as far as the museum is concerned it
> is just renting the space in the arena so there may be some legal
> complications with advertising.
>
> Yes, I do agree with everyone that getting the word out about one's museum
> or gallery is key.  Now I have a better idea about this and when I see my
> friend I'll tell him his place is DOOMED!! without advertisement.

I would like to add to a previous respondent's comments re: advertising.

I have no advertising budget whatsoever yet my museum is out in front of
county residents at least once a week.  We generate news releases on
just about everything that happens here: lectures, author book reviews
and signings, exhibits, new Board members, etc.  Our local newspapers
print everything we send them.  I even write occassional feature stories
for them.

One of the reasons we get such good coverage is we plan an activist role
in the community.  We put ourselves out as one of the leading visitor
attractions in the county and thus, a major player in the economic
development structure.  We came up with the theme for the county "Where
Texas Began" and promote its use by both the county administration and
private businesses.  The major local newspaper has adopted it in its
masthead.  We had our local state senator push through legislation
renaming a state highway for the founder of Anglo Texas, Stephen F.
Austin.

I am a member of every chamber of commerce in the county, sit on boards
that are directly unrelated to the museum; even chaired the County Fair
Parade Committee for two years.  As Executive Director, I see my
position primarily as the head of public relations and go about that job
by making sure I and thus my museum, am highly visible in the
coummunity.  That includes more service club luncheon talks than I care
to count, advisory services to community museums, etc.

Yet I do not spend a dime for "advertising."  Sure, I have a small
budget for "Business Meetings."  That for the occassional lunch I have
to buy.  Other than that, I really don't need an advertising budget.

Bob Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
Angleton, Texas