From:
"G. Brunschwyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:44:25 -0700
Dear Lori,

A few years ago I served on the ethics committee here at the Southern
Oregon Historical Society and we dealt with issues similar to the situation
you describe.  According to our code of ethics, if an employee wanted a
dupe slide (or a black and white print, or whatever) made from our files,
he or she would have to follow the procedures as outlined for the general
public- place a photo order through our research library and pay the
regular fee.   The Society is the owner of the images and employees have no
special priveledges regarding them.  Since the Society is funded partly
through property taxes, it would be unfair for our employee to have special
priveledges over the general tax-paying public.
I think setting a clear policy in writing is the best bet to avoid
confusion.  All staff members here were required to read the ethics policy
and sign off on it.  Hope this helps.

-Matt Strieby
Exhibits Designer
Southern Oregon Historical Society