From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:27:46 -0400
Isn't PDF material posted on the Web searchable if it's OCR-scanned?  So
technically, if someone searched on a key phrase it would come back to
your site?  This works well for researchers to get information, but it
is also helpful for those who are looking to see if the researchers'
work was plagiarized.  If you are trying to lock PDFs to guarantee your
researchers' integrity, I don't see as that's something that should be
expected of you as a provider of information.  Whether they plagiarize
or not is their own decision. I don't think you'd be seen by anyone as
enabling plagiarism if you don't lock your files, if indeed you had the
right (because they were in the public domain) to scan and post them.

Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding the problem.

Best,

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN