From:
Ann Rybon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:49:22 -0500
The choice to keep or sell stock is the institutions.  The IRS reconizes
the gift of stock to a non profit at the mean value on the date of the
gift.  If the institution chooses to keep the stock any gain or loss is
theirs.  If the instiution chooses to sell, any gain or loss or cost of
sale is theirs.

The decision to keep stock should be made in a board approved
policy/procedure.  We have a policy to keep only that stock designated for
endowment, and then the "Fund Manager" can decide if he wishes to keep it
or sell.  Other stock gifts by policy are sold as soon as received.  The
gift is acknowledged and posted as a contribution  at the mean value on the
date the stock hits our account.  The difference, cost of sale and gain or
loss, are posted to an expense account.

We have an Investment Committee that among its responsibilities makes such
policy and oversees the Fund Manager.

Ann Rybon